Monday 16 March 2015

Page Layout

As I am designing a hardcover book, page layout is important. I need to balance intense and interesting visuals with limited body text so as one doesn't out weigh the other. This will be achieved by composition of text on the right page, as the the image will most likely sit on its own the left page. To gather some ideas I looked at some notable layouts. I looked for layouts that used image on one page and text on the other.


I like this layout because the colour on the left really stands out against the grey on white on the right page. This makes the colours seem alot more intense as well making it the focus. I also like how each page is balanced, one page doesnt outweigh the other. I also like the use of circles on the text page.


I like this spread for its simplicity, the composition is the only focus in this spread, no colour or image to distract. I also like how the right page doesnt outweigh the left despite there being considerable more text on the left. I think this is done by centering everything on the left and then shifting body text to the bottom on the right. There is a consistent negative space on both pages at the top.


This layout is effective because of the huge japanese symbol balances each page out, without it the photograph would be to dominant. This is the technique I need to use in my layouts so the text isnt sidelined or forgotten about when parallel with my visuals.


This spread uses the body text on the right to balance out the photograph on the left, it does this by being center aligned in one column. The text on the left beneath the photograph is also center aligned to one column as well which creates consistency and balances the spread out.


I like this spread because of the elements on the right page spill over on to the photograph on the left which helps to tie the text to the image as well leading the readers eye. However the text seems to be big and slightly out of place.

No comments:

Post a Comment