Monday 16 March 2015

Introduction and Brief

Introduction:
 
For my Creative & Professional Development project I aim to research and explore conveying information on space using stylised geometric visuals as well as considered type and layout. I have chosen to do this as I have recently been watching universe/space documentaries and have gathered a large understanding of objects and theories in space. I also chose space as it features a very unique aesthetic that isnt seen anywhere else in nature. I think this unique aesthetic could translate well into a geometric visuals that use intense colour. Also as technology advances so does our understanding of space and so in the age of quickly developing technology, the mysteries of space are being discovered which always challenge our way of thinking.

What are my goals? What am I trying to achieve?:

The main goal of my project is to create a series of educational material on space using stylised visuals including geometry and intense colours. By creating this educational pack I hope to revitalise peoples interest in space as well there imagination for space. I think using stylised imagery which geometry will excite the imagination as there is almost no actuall close ups of celestial bodies such as pulsars, black holes and supernovae as they are so far away and small in comparison to the space they are in. The only real bodies in space that are observable in any sort of detail is our solar system and nebulae as they are so big often spanning many light years. I think this gives me alot of freedom with visual experimentation and also allows me to use intense colours. I think the visual style will seperate me from other educational material as it will be very intense and colourful.

Target Market? Who's it for?:

My target market for my educational pack will be 10-17yr. I have chosen this range as in terms of information it will contain basic language and logic as I dont want to confuse the audience with mathmatics and intense working out but rather the mindblowing facts behind these celestial bodies. The information will be easily understood and combined with intense visuals will allow for the information to be recalled on. I want to the educational pack to be a gateway into gaining an interest in space rather than being the finish line that explain complicated theories and math as I have little understanding of mathmatical physics of space. I also think that society today has lost touch with the universe outside of our planet as it seems so far away as so impossibe to reach but its also the only reason we are here and that all elements on Earth were created by exploding suns over billions of years millions of light years away. I want to convey that magnitude of awe and luck that we exist at all.

What products/applications should I use?:

The main feature of the educational pack will be a hardcover bound book using perfect biding. This book will contain information gathered and visuals created for the project. I will mostly likely use a double page spread for each object, using the left page for the visual and right page for information, I think this emphasize the size of the space in which the celestial body sits in. I will also produce a double sided poster that utilises the visuals as well as a small element of information (basic fact). The poster will feature a grid format with each object being the same size. I may also produce a set of cards (same size as playing cards) that uses the visual as well as the uniform information such as size, lightyears away, colour, elements and so on. This could be used for revising or played similiarly to top trumps. In my research I will further explore applications in which I could use these visuals and information.

No comments:

Post a Comment